UG Excavating Ltd. is committed to a strong health and safety program that protects its employees, sub-contractors, property and the general public.
We maintain a health and safety program conforming to the best practices of the construction industry. To be successful, our program starts with proper attitudes toward incident and injury prevention on part of management, supervisors, employees and sub-contractors.
Our objective is a health and safety program that reduces the number of incidents and injuries to an absolute minimum, not merely in keeping with, but surpassing, the best experience of operations similar to ours.
Our Health and Safety Program involves:
- Conducting Formal Hazard Assessments specific to each project and daily Field Level Hazard Assessments to identify, rate, and control all hazards and eliminate risks on projects with all employees and sub-contractors.
- Conducting health and safety inspections both informal and formal to find and eliminate unsafe and unhealthy working conditions, to control hazards, and to comply fully with industry standards and the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Regulations and Code of every project.
- Recognizing the rights and responsibilities of all employees and sub-contractors to work in a safe and healthy work environment.
- Training all employees in safe work practices and safe job procedures including emergency response planing and rescue. Providing health and safety courses as required per employee position.
- Providing necessary personal protective equipment and instruction for its correct use, limitations, care and maintenance.
- Developing and enforcing health and safety rules and requiring employees and sub-contractors to cooperate with these rules as a condition of employment.
- Investigating every near miss and incident, promptly and thoroughly, to find out the basic cause and implementing corrective actions so it doesn’t occur again.
- Providing mechanical and physical safeguards to the maximum extent possible with a preventative maintenance program to ensure that all equipment used during a project is maintained in a condition that will not compromise the health and safety of employees and sub-contractors or damage to property.
- Monitoring sub-contractors health and safety as part of a prime contractor responsibilities holding them to the highest standard at all times.
- Conducting health and safety audits annually through the Alberta Construction Safety Association which is measured against regulated criteria to ensure our health and safety standards are being upheld and our health and safety program maintained.